18 September 2009


I've had a bit of spare time today and managed to finish my found type alphabet/font. It's not quite as complex as I would have liked but it's worked out OK. Our Monday deadline became a problem when we were told it was a national holiday. Seeing as I won't have internet connection for the weekend it has to be finished today, thus is slightly less varied than I had hoped.

The basic idea is that there are these crazy, tangled networks of power cables in Delhi. they were one of the first things that really caught my eye when I arrived at the hotel on the first night. Ever since then I have been fixated by them. My original concept was to make the letters from the wires! Thinking this might be a daunting task for myself, I'm a pretty basic photoshop guru, I had a look for a less time consuming way of communicating the same idea. On a random walk to the metro station one day I noticed these sticks connecting some of the wires, this then proved the inspiration for my typeface. Also included are some of my favourite found typo images, accumulated over the period I have been here:













































7 comments:

  1. Interesting! What about letters from pics of the very random manic telegraph poles everywhere. Wires leaving them in all directions whould make for an easy alphabet to be found in the different patterns....If Monday is a Bank Holiday there, and you've just found out, chill- just let Belinda know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great observation Robbie. I'd like to see something written using your typeset !
    Dadio

    ReplyDelete
  3. The telegraph pole in perspective is simply stunning....

    ReplyDelete
  4. jay here, like the work but would of been interesting to see the use of a broken watermelon in type, maybe arranging the seeds to make words. i can give you an unlimited amount of watermelons or any other kind of fruit when your home... cal me ;) xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers for support guys!

    @ Shirley, that's my favorite shot also. Funny it was one of the most random; it was taken when we stopped in at that Jewelry place in Jaipur. Next to a horrible sewage outlet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Rob,

    The typo is great though a touch of Scotland more than the really tangled wires from India! How did you see so much order in those tangled wires! The love the 'ch' through the glass. Again the image promises a coolness and to think this photograph is from hot India.

    Sumi

    ReplyDelete
  7. great work man , really like the first two images of the wall and the pole.
    we guys were busy with that short film submission...so will get our work to scotland see you there. tc

    ankit

    ReplyDelete