1 June 2010

Amesty International Illustration Project - Anti-Rape Campaign

Well here the illustration project I had wanted to complete, and managed to now that my semester has ended.

While developing this Illustration I jumped through various concepts ( and causes for the campaign ) .. at some points I was deciding the cause based on how I wanted the Illustration to play out :P

When I had decided I wanted to do an anti rape campaign, I knew I wanted to look at the issue internally, rather than externally, and I wanted to look at it from the point of view of the rapist rather than the victim.

I thought about the tremendous guilt one would go through after committing such an act. I took inspiration from from an event known as 'The Black Hole of Calcutta'.
The Black Hole of Calcutta was the guard room in the old Fort William, at Calcutta, India. Which was used to hold prisoners of war after the capture of the Fort on June 19, 1756.


Its an event known for it's horrific turnout, where eventually so many people were forced into the cramped room that 123 of the 146 British and Indian troops suffocated to death.

I had wanted the illustration to turn out quite unpleasant to look at, due to the nature of the cause I was
addressing. I drew the illustration style from my favorite renaissance artist Albrecht Dürer, and his work on the book of revelation.

After a series of very rough experiments of the illustration in Charcoal and black pen, (which have to be located in the black hole that was once my room) I had discussed with Mike, followed by Ramneek and Sumita ma'am once I returned.

I finally finished the illustration on photoshop with a graphic tablet, with texturing in the background from the original charcoal sketch.




The placement on the billboard

The bus stand Adshel

Hope I can get a lot of feedback on this..

Also I heard what happened with the passports, I hope the project can be saved and I hope that the exhibition on the 4th goes nicely either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment